Income Support

The following organizations are sources of financial support for general and medical needs. Many students with severe disabilities will eventually be eligible for the income and health programs under the Social Security Administration.  Specific eligibility criteria should be discussed with each organization. Sources of financial assistance for specific needs such as educational or vocational services may be listed in other sections of this guide.

Social Security Administration

Illinois Snap Program

Illinois Able Brochure for Public Education (1).pdf

In-Home Support/Respite

In-home supports provide services to individuals with severe disabilities so they can remain in their homes and be as independent as possible. In-home and facility-based respite care for children and adults with developmental disabilities provides temporary care of qualified individuals for families.

Illinois Department of Human Services/Division of Rehabilitation Services/Home Services

Advocates for Access


The Office of State Guardian (OSG) is the largest public guardianship agency of its kind in the United States. With cases in virtually every Illinois county, the Office of State Guardian handles the personal, financial, and legal affairs of developmentally disabled, mentally ill and elderly persons with disabilities. Numerous private practicing attorneys in central Illinois provide legal direction related to guardianship proceedings through the court.

Illinois State Guardianship

Prairie State Legal Services


Central Illinois has several 24 hour response services to intervene in crisis situations, other than medical emergencies, that may involve a behavioral/emotional response to stress or chronic mental health conditions.

Human Service Center/Emergency Response Services

Tazwood Center for Wellness/Emergency Response Services

Illinois Office of Inspector General

Information and Referral

211 is available on a 24-hour basis to connect residents to a wide variety of human services or social services locally and across the state. If someone needs information or referral services but has little or no prior knowledge or experience, dialing 211 is much simpler than other options. Once the person dials 211, a professional Information and Referral specialist will then either refer or connect that caller to the correct agency based on the services needed. Callers to 211 can get LIVE assistance with needs such as: food, shelter, counseling, income supports, employment, healthcare, and services for specialized populations such as the elderly and persons with disabilities and much more.

Heart of Illinois United Way 211


There are several agencies and services designed to advocate for individuals with disabilities and their families.  Advocacy services are there to help you.  They are used for consulting, are available to assist when difficult and confusing situations arise and are available to provide information on your rights.  An advocate can be a great support for an individual with a disability and their families.  When choosing an Advocacy Service/Agency remember to inquire about their expertise, fees and how their assistance is provided (e.g. hands on assistance vs. telephone consultation).

Easter Seals Central Illinois

Equip for Equality

Illinois Guardianship and Advocacy Human Rights Authority

Illinois Office of Inspector General

Advocates for Access

Mental Health Services/Counseling

DHS/DMH Recovery Support Services

National Suicide Prevention Hotline

Illinois Mental Health Collaborative

Human Service Center

Associates in Mental Health

Mental Health America of Illinois Valley

Antioch Group

Unity Point Methodist Behavioral Health

OSF St. Francis Medical Center Behavioral Health

Tazwood Center for Wellness

Other Resources

Many adult services do not fit into a specific category and have therefore been identified below.

Central Illinois Down Syndrome Association

NAMI Illinois

Autism Society of America - Central Illinois Chapter